|Squash and Squash seeds are smart foods|
The IDEAL Magazine
The holidays are fast approaching as well as the cold weather. The tendency to put on a few more pounds and make excuses for it drastically increases. Yet, it does not have to be this way. You can slowly incorporate better food choices into your daily eating habits...some of which, you probably already have or can adjust to have very easily. Remember, if you learn which of the foods you already like are better for you than others, you may have a better chance at keeping the weight off, and even losing a few pounds in the process. A smart food is one that is good for you nutritionally and helps aid in weight loss as well.
- Apples: No surprise here. The saying "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" is very popular for a reason. They are a good source of fiber and if eaten after a meal can help the feeling of fullness go up to 2 hours longer.
- Cinnamon: This spice can be added not just to morning or dessert foods, but can also be added to poultry as well for an interesting zing. It reduces your blood sugar levels which is an added bonus for reduction of calories in your body.
- Pine Nuts: If you are a "pesto" lover, you are already consuming pine nuts! Pine nuts help you to feel full faster and contains the most protein of all nuts.
- Chili Peppers: If you are into the spicy things, this one you will love. By raising your blood temperature it can help to burn calories, but it also it has the ability to help you feel full faster as well.
- Pumpkin or Squash Seeds (Pepitas): Can help to decrease the body's ability to store fat! In addition to being high in Omega-3 fatty acids, they are high in protein and manganese which helps to control cravings and appetite. Roast a few and add them to your salad or top on your meat dishes.