Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Monique Monte Will Captivate DC With Her Wearable Art on October 31, 2013 in Washington, DC

Wearable Art Piece by Monique Monte


Artist and Stylist Monique Monte
Monique Monte' is an artist and fashion designer that currently resides in Washington DC. She studied Art and fashion at The Fashion Institute of Technology in New York, Hong Kong Polytechnic and Francis De La Mode in Paris. She focuses on sculpture and "wearable art". Her wearable art is all handmade using common household items. Her designs are all original and she teams up with local photographers to document her work. Many describe her work as “captivating” and “highly unconventional”



While Monique has styled the best of them, she is both a stylist and a fine artist, as demonstrated by her "Wearable Art" collection. Ideal PR Media had the pleasure of discussing this amazing gift with her. "I'd say that I am an Artist first. Even when I was mostly focused on styling I was constantly "recreating" clothes and adding unconventional items to them," said Monique about being a stylist or artist first.





Wearable art piece by Monique Monte using dyed cotton swabs


"I'm actually a trained artist so I paint and build sculptures. Building is my strong suit. I went to The Fashion Institute of Technology in New York and studied in Hong Kong and Paris. I was exposed to a whole different level of fashion especially in Paris (seeing Haute Couture). After I styled for a while, I honestly got a bit bored and kept finding myself taking clothes apart and putting them together again. One day I went full force and decided to do an entire collection and used anything I could find to make it unique. From then on I mastered the technique of Household Haute Couture (she smiled). Just goes to show its not how much you spend it's how you put it together that counts," Monique shared.


Soon the art junkies, culture fanatics, lovers of exotic displays, and the who's who in the collectors world will have the opportunity to see Monique's wearable art, but also other pieces of her fine art collection. "My latest collection is a part of a theme called Utsukushii Akumu (Japanese) or Beautiful Nightmare (English). I will be showcasing about 4 or 5 wearable art pieces in a live sculpture garden exhibit," explained Monique


"The pieces will be worn by Asian models that are mythical characters that appear in your dreams. I will also be showcasing paintings and sculptures that are also related to the beautiful nightmare theme. There will be reprints of my work for sale to the public. There are certain paintings that will be auctioned off for charity," stated Monique about the nearly sold out event that will take place on Thursday October 31, 2013 at the Renaissance Hotel (999 9th Street, NW, Washington, DC) from 7:00-9:30 pm. While tickets are still available (CLICK HERE For Tickets), we are sure they won't last long! DC has never seen anything like this, so those in-the-know, and true lovers of fine art are sure to gather in packs.

Monique at a recent event celebrating her work
When we asked Monique to share with us a couple of her memorable experiences as a stylist, she was more than candid. "Well the most fabulous experience was my first experience. I was in my early 20's and I had to style 3 models at once. I was kind of thrown into it. I was told it would be one girl. Anyway I stepped up to the plate and once my nerves calmed down I felt so comfortable and at ease and thought to myself "this is what I was born to do," explained Monique.


"The other was actually working with the ladies from Dress for Success (a non profit that helps disadvantage women find clothes to re-enter the workforce). Seeing the joy I brought to the ladies faces when I introduced myself as a professional wardrobe stylist was priceless. They felt like royalty and I was more than happy to go above and beyond making sure they looked their best for their new careers. Their excitement and gratitude made me feel like a million bucks," she said describing another fabulous experience.



Be sure to check out Monique Monte and her work by attending this fabulous event on Halloween  October 31, 2013 (see event flier below...click the flier for more info). Her work will soon be showcased in the Ronald Reagan Building in Washington, DC starting in November 2013.


A very special thanks to Tim Waters, Monique Monte and their team for making this interview happen

Share:

No comments

© IDEAL PR MEDIA | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig