Search This Blog

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Baked Kale Chips with Salt & Vinegar! Yumo... Perfect Spring Snack


In an attempt to eat more leafy vegetables and greens I tried out a recipe that I have been interested in creating for a while. I added my own twist to the suggestion and it came out nice...the second time :-)
The key to making them is to keep your heat low or they may burn quickly. It is very easy to prepare, and even tastier to eat! I love salt and vinegar potato chips, so I placed my own personal twist and added salt and vinegar for a very tasty zip!

Instructions.
  1. Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees (I used a toaster oven to save energy).
  2. Get a bag of pre-chopped kale greens. This will cut down on your prep time because most of the stems will already be removed.
  3. Remove the stems and large veins from the leaves, leaving only the leafy part of the greens.
  4. Wash Well and dry.
  5. Spray baking sheet (or aluminum foil for those without a basking sheet) with a cooking spray
  6. Place the kale on the baking sheet and make sure the leaves do not overlap or touch each other.
  7. Spray the kale with a butter or olive oil cooking spray (I used a butter spray with olive oil :-)
  8. Sprinkle a little sea salt over the top (just a little)
  9. Baked for about 10 minutes until the ends are crisp, but not burned. 
  10.  The greens should STAY GREEN, so once they start getting dark green, pull them out and touch the edges to see if they are crisp.
  11. In my second batch (the one that came out good :-) I removed a few of the smaller chips before the larger pieces were finished to prevent them from burning. (try to make your pieces about the same size for even cooking)
  12. Once you have pulled them out, drizzle a little bit of vinegar and sprinkle sea salt and enjoy! Only drizzle the salt and vinegar on the batch you intend to eat immediately. Letting the vinegar sit too long causes them to get soggy.
  • NOTE!!! Be sure to keep a close eye. The first time the edges went from green to brown in a matter of seconds after I checked on it
Eating these chips as an afternoon snack is a healthier choice than those regular potato chips! Crunch on a few while you read the latest issue of the IDEAL mag
Share:

No comments

© IDEAL PR MEDIA | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig